I got the chance to go to Church twice while I was in Africa and it was beautiful! It was the most amazing experience and one that I will never forget! That alone was worth my whole trip out here! I loved being in a place that felt like home and getting to worship in the familiar ways I have cherished and loved my whole life. It was a sweet experience to see that The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is the same-all the way across the world in Africa.
I love these children! They are each beautiful in their own way.. oh goodness..
This is the awesome walk i take to school every day! It's about a 20 minute walk to and from school and hilarious every time with either children yelling "Obruni dance!" or old men wanting your hand in marriage and for you to bring them back to the "Obama State" with you!
Shannon Hunter, Natalie Nordstrom, Meghan SmithCallie Wilson, Eva Miller, Briana Stevens, Rachel Carter
George Ketchum
This is the gang. Here are the beautiful people I am privileged to be with every day! They teach me so much and I am thankful for each one of them! this is us in Mampong with our Obama biscuits! they say "united biscuits" on the front and actually taste, umm ok.. but not my favorite! I love these kids!
This is the first Ghana meal i had! The famous FUFU. it is pretty raunchy...It is a thick, dough like West African food made by boiling and pounding a starchy vegetable such as yam, plantain, or cassava. The above picture is ground nut soup with Fufu mixed in with it. They usually eat them both together and it honestly tastes like uncooked pancakes/mucus... the texture is horrible..Since we have arrived, the food has gone down hill too, sadly.. hopefully it will pick back up! here at the internet cafe in kufordua there is a cafe connected with AMERICAN FOOD! we are going to try it after we are done here, pray it is good!FUFU:
Note: Conventional west African fufu is made by boiling such starchy foods as cassava, yam, plantain or rice, then pounding them into a glutinous mass, usually in a giant, wooden mortar and pestle. This adaptation for North Americans may trouble you if you try to stick to minimally processed foods. But it's worth trying at least once with west African groundnut stews.
2 1/2 cups Bisquick 2 1/2 cups instant potato flakes
Bring 6 cups of water to a rapid boil in a large, heavy pot. combine the two ingredients and add to the water.
Stir constantly for 10-15 minutes -- a process that needs two people for best results: one to hold the pot while the other stirs vigorously with a strong implement (such as a thick wooden spoon). The mixture will become very thick and difficult to stir, but unless you are both vigilant and energetic, you'll get a lumpy mess.
When the fufu is ready (or you've stirred to the limits of your endurance!), dump about a cup of the mixture into a wet bowl and shake until it forms itself into a smooth ball. Serve on a large platter alongside a soup or stew.
No comments:
Post a Comment